A very easy victory
So we’re going into the interlull on the back of 9 wins out of our last 11 games. We are now level on points with Liverpool who were supposed to be light years ahead of us.
Arsenal 3-0 West Brom. The score line doesn’t convey how easily we brushed aside a very weak opposition.
Our line up was
Jenkinson Vermaelan Koscielny Santos
Walcott RVP Gervinho
Mertesacker was given a deserved rest while the Verscielny centre-backs were not really tested but looked strong. Van Persie was brought back into the team and Park retreated to the bench.
22 minutes in a very Cescesque pass by Ramsey between the left-back and centre-back put Walcott through on goal but his shot was poor. The rebound however fell to the man-on-fire Robin Van Persie who had a simple tap in. That’s 11 PL goals in 11 games.
17 minutes later a delightful chip from Song to the back post where Van Persie volleyed it across to the on rushing Thomas Vermaelan to score for the first time since Stoke in 2010.
The first half brought a few chances but nothing else exciting really happened.
On 74 minutes the best goal of the game came. Van Persie excellently spun his marker, then played a 1-2 with Rosicky and laid it into the path of Mikel Arteta to curl it into the bottom left corner. It reminded everyone of the past Arsenal. It was a truly magnificent goal.
There were 2 exciting things that happened in the final 10 minutes. The 1st was that the substitute Arshavin gave the ball away and the 2nd was Szczesny making his first save in the 86th minute. A comfortable take from a Reid header.
This was a very comfortable victory, our first in a while. There were quite a few positives and very little negatives.
• While Van Persie was involved in all 3 goals, he only scored one of them, which is very promising.
• The energy and crossing ability of young Carl Jenkinson was first class. He looks like a different person than the one that was mercilessly exposed against United. He still has tonnes to learn but he is learning. He is also by far the best crosser in the team.
• Rosicky put in a very energetic performance which is pleasing.
• Ramsey played very much like Cesc which shows promise. I’m not saying that they are of similar quality but he put in passes that we haven’t seen since Fabregas.
• Arshavin was poor.
• It was boring from the 75th minute on.